Thursday, December 16, 2010

Too Busy

I ran across this comic today and had to laugh. It holds a lot of humor but yet so much truth. Just think about the classic excuse of "I'm just too busy". I'm sure those words have come out of your mouth on many occasions. But what does that term really mean? For me I use the words, "I'm just too busy" or "I'm so busy right now" or "I haven't had time for anything lately" probably a dozen times a week. In part it's true, I am busy; but it isn't really a valid excuse all the time. I talked about this in the post I Spend My Time How?!. Think about the last time you used that excuse. What did you use that excuse for?

I have noticed in my world it is usually a catch all phrase to soothe the guilt of not getting to so many things that I know are important. Does it help? Sometimes. Maybe even most of the time but only when I am able to convince myself that I am truly too busy to spend time in the Bible (See post Do We Give Time to the One Who Gives Us Time), too busy to spend quality time with my family, too busy to catch up with friends I have lost touch with (why? I was probably to busy for them), too busy to work out, too busy to eat healthy, too busy to blog, and the list could go on and on.

So what is my point? My point...or question rather is how long do we have to go on in this "busy" state until something changes? Is it really just a phase as we always claim? The answer to that question is a big whoppin' NO. I have found from countless personal experiences that "busyness" will always find us mostly because after a while we go looking for it. I have discovered that it is flat out easier to stay busy than to face all of the problems that need taken care of. It's true. I'm sure you have felt the same way. How many important things have you let slip away because you were too busy?

My challenge is this, prioritize. This is something I am in the midst of trying to do. I have been lost in a sea of hectic chaos for the past couple of years and by the grace of God am finally seeing the light. It is a growing process for certain, but I'm taking great steps to make a change. For example I took a semester off of school to re-focus and I quit my job yesterday (more on that in an upcoming post). Ask yourself what is truly important to you. Make a list of the top ten things you find most important to spend your time doing. Then make a list of the top ten things you currently spend your time doing. You may be surprised at the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment