Friday, October 1, 2010

Do we give time to the One who gives us time?

I was at a Bible study at Kent State Stark earlier today and the girl sharing a challenge was talking about devotions. She was talking about how much we need to be in God's word and how so often we fail to give God any time in our day. As I was sitting there allowing the full depth of this statement to sink in I began to think..."wow, I don't think people fully grasp this concept" If you take a second to really think about it, it's rather astounding. So astound with me a moment.

According to a religious survey done by the Hansen Report, of the 51% of the population that claim affiliation with Protestant churches only a meager 5% are devoted enough to their faith to attend services weekly or read their Bibles more than once or twice a month. Once or twice a MONTH! My first reaction is "what kind of a Christian only reads their Bible only once or twice a month!" But as I begin to turn to microscope of judgment upon myself I can see that though I may read my Bible more than once or twice a month the number isn't all that much higher.

Here is another tidbit to think on. According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., "the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube."
They also found that in the average American home the television is on an average of 6 hours 47 minutes a day. How many minutes a day do you think the Bible is opened in the average American home? I'm sure the numbers would be shamefully low.

So what do I do with this information, Stevan?

My challenge to you is this, take a moment and think about your average day. Try to sort out your time. Figure in work, school, eating, sleeping, television, driving, grooming, computer time, and any thing else you do on a regular basis. Then figure the time spent on average in prayer and Bible reading. Allow the stats to speak for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment