Friday, October 8, 2010

...Yet We Call Ourselves Compassionate

So I was at Speedway the other day getting a snack. I had already spent five something on lunch and I was really debating whether or not I wanted to spend a couple bucks or try to make it through the next eight hours of my shift and get something at home. I decided on iced tea and peanut M&M's. As I was walking back out to the squad this guy starts walking towards me and is saying something. I immediately realize that he is a panhandler looking for a hand out. My mind instantly begins racing. Can I walk away and pretend I didn't notice? No, I already made eye contact. About this time he reaches me and after showing me his license to panhandle, asks me if I can give him money for some food. I'm stuck at this point. I think for a second and I figure I should give him something especially seeing I'm in uniform and supposed to be all about helping people. He asks me for five bucks and I tell him that I only have two (of course I really mean I only have two ones and don't want to give him a ten or fifty). He tries to barter with me for four dollars and then three, but I hold my ground and give him the two dollars. He tells me God bless and walks away. Of course I know he will probably buy cigarettes or boose or something and not food.
As I get back in the truck and continue my day I can't help but think about the whole situation. Then it hit me,

"So what? Didn't God command us to feed the hungry and clothe the naked?" "How do you know how bad he needs a hand out?" "So what if it makes you feel awkward." "Is it cause you are stingy with your money?"

As you can see the Holy Spirit was doing a number on my conscience. And as usual it worked. Hence, I'm sharing this challenge with you. The Bible talks repeatedly about caring for the needs of others. Matthew 25:37-40 says,
"Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
So why is it we find it so easy to close up our hearts and compassion to people. When was the last time we unselfishly gave to someone in need? When was the last time we fed someone who was hungry? When was the last time we gave, not of our abundance, but of our need? The thing is we can probably think of an occasion or two, but where in the Bible does God say, "Help two or three people out and you have done your part"? Jesus' entire earthly ministry was based on helping people. He spent His time on earth healing the sick, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and comforting the broken. Why should we live our lives any different? When did our lives become all about US and OUR needs and OUR wants. We have been called to serve and to be an extension of Jesus' earthly ministry. I would like to challenge you to take a moment and think about someone in need. Ask God to show you people you can help and be a blessing to. And you, in turn, will be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment