Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lessons From a Fortune Cookie: The Critic

"  It is much easier to be critical than to be correct."   - Fortune Cookie

This was the fortune in my fortune cookie the other day. Think about it for a second. It's so true. Think of the last time you were critical of someone or something. Was it because the person or thing in question was incorrect in some way? Or was it because you had a different taste, preference, or opinion? Take for instance when someone questions something we said or did; instead of admitting we were wrong and correcting the issue we tend to just be critical and try to discredit their opinion.
For some reason I'm the type of person who always thinks he is correct. Regardless of the issue or instance I feel that I am right or correct. Am I? Many times I am correct; but probably not as often as I think. So what do I do when my correctness is questioned? You guessed it, I'm critical. It's always the other person's memory that is incorrect or the other person's opinion that is misguided; when in all reality that isn't usually the case.

Have you ever stopped to think about the term "correct"? What does that really mean? Who defines what is correct and incorrect? We tend to think tastes, opinions, and preferences fall under the categories of correct and incorrect, yet that defies the very definitions of opinion, taste, and preference. We tend to forget that just because we disagree with someone it doesn't mean they are wrong it simply means they don't see everything the way we do. Jesus addressed this issue in Matthew 7:3-5 "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
So let us heed to the wisdom of this tasty fortune cookie and strive to not be critical of others. Let us resolve that next time we are tempted to be critical to ask ourselves, "Why am I being critical? Do I have a right to be critical? Is it important for me to voice my opinion at this time about this issue?"

So next time you break open that fortune cookie and read the bizarre fortune, take a moment to contemplate the wisdom found inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment